Sagra dell’Anguilla (Eel Festival) in Comacchio 2019
21st Edition– from the 28th September to the 13rd October 2019
The long-awaited Eel Festival of Comacchio is back, identified as Slow Food safeguard and whose production has a centuries-old tradition.
But the Eel Festival is not only famous for the delicacies that are offered, but also for the beauty and uniqueness of the city of Comacchio, a group of tiny roads, canals and bridges; not to mention the valleys of the Po Delta Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The food stands
The Eel Festival has experienced a lot of variations over the numerous editions, and in 2019 it has been confirmed for 3 weekends, the last one of September and the first two of October, with the following food stands: (menus, prices and timetables of the stands are available at the download down below).
FOOD STAND FATTIBELLO BANK
- Self-service section (approximately 750 covers)
Open on Sunday and Saturday from 11:30 to 15:00 and from 18:00 to 22:00.
- Little restaurant section with table service (approximately 100 covers)
Open on Friday from 18:00 to 22:00. On Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 to 15:00 and from 18:00 to 22:00.
MANUFACTURE OF THE MARINATED
- Corso Mazzini 200, Comacchio
Possibility of tasting on Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 to 15:00.
- Only on Saturday night “The dishes of yesteryear”: Dinner of the gastronomic tradition of Comacchio in the historical factory of the Valley Fish, in collaboration with Slow Food (RESERVATION OBLIGATORY – LIMITED SEATING) more information in the menu available for download below.
The restaurants located in the old town will create a gastronomic offer dedicated to the rediscovery of local dishes, especially eel, during the entire period of the festival. But in addition to restaurants, the whole old town will be animated with shows, exhibitions and street markets with agricultural and handcrafted local products.
The surrounding area and the traditions
Thanks to the Eel Festival Comacchio wants to spread and make known not only its culinary products, but also the history and traditions of the area. Various excursions and activities are indeed planned, for example:
- The capture of the eels with the traditional method, plunged in the valleys and in their natural environment.
- The discovery of the centuries-old methods of the manufacturing of the eels and the typical products.
- Excursions to discover the Po Delta Park, the Salina (Saltworks) and the pink flamingos.
- The lightning of the chimneys in the Fire Room within the old Manufacture of the Marinated, the roasting of the eels and their cooking. Later it will be possible to taste the dishes within the Manufacture of the Marinated.
- The competition of the “Vulicepi”, traditional boats driven by experienced boatmen from Comacchio, who on the 29thSeptember will compete until the final on the 13rd.
Offical website Sagra dell’Anguilla (Eel Festival): www.sagradellanguilla.it